A barbeque and fête to celebrate the Belfairs Methodist Church's anniversary.
Outside, weather permitting. If not, we'll be in doors.
A Brief History
Way back in 1861 the area, now known as Belfairs, was part of the area of Eastwood. The local Methodists of the area met in a rented schoolroom which was attached to the local public house, The Woodcutters Arms. In December 1900 they were requested to quit the room owing to its dilapidation rendering it necessary to be demolished.
The members bought a piece of land in Eastwood Road North and built an iron chapel. This building was opened on 6th March 1901. This building was sited where numbers 263 & 265 are now built and can be seen on the far left of the photo.
Within a few years it became apparent that larger premises were required and the current plot of land was purchased. The foundations of the current church building were laid in a special ceremony on 12th July 1911 and it is around this time that we celebrate our church anniversary. The church was officially opened on 25th October 1911.
In 1946 the name was changed from Wesleyan Chapel, Eastwood to Belfairs Methodist Church.
In 1954 a church hall was added and in the 1960's a number of small prefabricated buildings were built at the back of the church and hall.
Eventually, in 1987, the old prefab buildings were demolished and a new sports hall was erected. A new frontage was erected and the inside obtained a new kitchen, toilets and a couple of store rooms.